Thursday 21 May 2009



When I went out to the barn this morning to turn on the hydrant to water in the hoop house I was met by this site. I don't know if you can tell but it is a snake skin that was shed. The snake wrapped itself around the electrical wire a couple of times to help pull it off. There are also two barn swallow nests right above one on both sides of the beam. The barn swallows were not too happy either. I don't know if the snake was helping himself to some eggs, also?! But if you double click on the picture it will pop up bigger and you can see better. I was impressed, my son wasn't. I sent him out later to turn off the water, but didn't tell him about the snake. I expected him to come back and say something, but he didn't, so I asked him if he saw anything interesting in the barn. He didn't think so, what was I talking about. I told him to go back out and look, he couldn't miss it! When he came back in he said you mean the snake skin? And I said yes. He said oh yeah I saw that. So much for my entertainment!!!!

2 comments:

  1. This is from another Sellmeyer - across the globe - and also farming - and also with snakes! Yes, I am Dieter Sellmeyer, a wine farmer in South Africa, about an hour outside Cape Town. We have a few snakes every year and the most common ones are Cape Cobras and Puffadders. The latter is a relation to your Rattlesnake. Both are venemous and occasionally we find a snake skin (always the Cape Cobra). For more about our wines see www.lynxwines.co.za.

    Nice to make contact!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a small world! Nice to make contact with you, too! The snake skin in this picture is a black snake, and not venemous, thank goodness! We have a lot of little vineyards and wineries around the state. That is a growing trend for Missouri wines.

    ReplyDelete