Friday 29 May 2009

Thursday Joe & I baked for the Columbia Farmers' Market. We did banana, applesauce, sweet potato, persimmon and strawberry breads, chocolate chip cookies, and rosemary flat bread. Sure was nice to have help in the kitchen! While we did that Lucas cleaned house! Then when we finished all that we went out and finished stringing up the tomatoes in the hoop house. When Greg came home we finished planting the tomatoes and most of the okra out in the back field where we've been working. We have 1/2 flat of okra to finish planting and 3 flats of basil, and some other herbs to get in the ground yet.

Today the boys picked strawberries while Greg and I did the greens and radishes. We noticed the potatoes were infested with bugs as we walked past them to the strawberry field, so Greg got the back pack sprayer out and sprayed on them! Greg picked onions and the boys cleaned and bunched them. With the extra help we got done pretty early, so took the afternoon off. When it cools off a little later I think the plan is to finish planting the okra and basil!

I keep asking Joe if he's having fun yet, and he keeps telling me he is. I'd better quit asking him while I'm ahead, he may decide differently one of these days! I asked him what his favorite thing was so far and he said baking; I asked what his least favorite part was and he said the ants! He had picked up a tray of okra plants to carry out of the greenhouse that had an ant colony under it and they got all over him! He said it felt like he had ants crawling all over him for the next 2 hours!!

No comments:

Post a Comment