Tuesday 27 October 2009

GREEN TOMATOES

I am always looking for green tomato recipes at the end of the season, because I can't bear to see them go to waste. I've made the usual relish and pickles, eaten them fried and even put them in stir fry dishes. Last year I found the best recipe yet, (I think), it's green tomato cake. It's just like a spice cake and very moist. I made a powdered sugar glaze frosting and dribbled it over the top after it was baked, it was sooooo good! Here's the recipe for those of you lucky enough to have access to green tomatoes.

GREEN TOMATO CAKE

2 1/4 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil or melted shortening (I used canola oil)
3 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
3 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1 cup pecans or walnuts
1 cup raisins (I used cran-raisins, I like the tartness of them)
2 1/2 cups diced green tomatoes
coconut optional

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In mixing bowl, beat sugar, oil, eggs & vanilla until smooth & creamy. Sift together the flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon & nutmeg; slowly beat into egg mixture. Blend well. Stir in nuts, raisins & tomatoes.
Pour into greased 9"x13" pan. Top with coconut if desired. (I just mixed into batter 1 cup). Bake for one hour or until wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean.

I also found this recipe in this months Southern Living Magazine that sounds very good, but I have not tried yet.

ARNOLD'S FRIED GREEN TOMATOES

2 cups all-purpose flour
3 whole green tomatoes
2 cups apple juice
5 eggs
1 dash Tabasco
2 cups cornmeal (seasoned with salt & pepper)
2 Tbsp. basil
Cut the tomatoes int 12-15 slices. Coat slices in flour. Dip in mixture of apple juice, egg whites & Tabasco. Dip into mixture of cornmeal & basil.
Fry in oil until brown

We've been making applesauce and digging sweet potatoes. Finally got all the sweet potatoes dug, but I think we'll have more applesauce to make! We are going to go Persimmon hunting this evening and see what they look like. I'm not sure there's very many this year like there was last year, we'll just have to see!

No comments:

Post a Comment