Monday 6 July 2009

What a nice week this past week was! You couldn't have asked for nicer weather to transplant plants. We got all our pumpkins, gourds, zucchini, summer squash, cucumbers and melons out. We just have a few more melons to go, but they were a little on the small side. We baked on Thursday, but I cut back since market was going to be on the 4th and that's typically not a good market day. Friday we picked a couple hundred pounds of peaches to take, was a little worried about getting rid of them all at market, but we did as the big peach people were not at the market on Saturday. But as we thought, the market was slow. Even though I cut back on baking we still didn't get rid of all the baked goods, didn't sell any swiss chard or much herbs! But it was also rainy! I'm not sure how much rain we got as we haven't ever put up our rain gauge, but I've heard from people around us that we got anywhere from 5" to 7" of rain Saturday morning! We were needing some, but not that much or that fast! Yesterday Greg got some brush mowed out back so we could find some of our blackberry bushes, and the guys and I took down the electric fence around the strawberry patch. Then we gathered up the row cover and brought it in and spread it out all around the yard and drive way to dry out so we can fold it up and put it away. Today while I'm baking, I'm going to have them go out and pick up all the rocks we used to hold the row cover down and get them put out of the way. I can't decide whether to bake applesauce or persimmon bread today! Have to go to the freezer and see how the persimmon supply is doing, I know I have plenty of applesauce!

No comments:

Post a Comment