Wednesday 24 March 2010

So far we've got all the peppers, eggplant and heirloom tomato seeds started in the greenhouse! I think there were about 30 different hierloom tomato varieties and we planted 24 of each of those! We still have the late hybrid tomato varieties to plant for outside field grown. The hybrid tomatoes we started earlier are ready to be transplanted out to the hoophouse any time now and we still have the okra, cuccumbers and summer squash to get started in the greenhouse The problem is Greg is to leave Sunday for a week business trip!

Columbia Farmers' market started this past Saturday! So I spent last week rounding up supplies and making new signs and labels for things. Went through all the jams and jellies and did inventory. Found I was lacking on Elderberry, Goumi, Strawberry and Peach. So Thursday I made strawberry, strawberry rhubarb and peach jam. This week I hope to get the elderberry and goumi done! Friday was such a beautiful day up around 70 degrees! I baked for market, I made banana coconut, banana, applesauce, zucchini and chocolate zucchini breads and rosemary flat bread! I cleaned out the truck and loaded the tables, tents, tent weights, etc. Greg came home and we finished loading the jams, baked goods, etc. We also took lots of eggs, dried tomatoes, dried apples and dried peppers, my lye soap and honey ointment. Then Sat. morning came...not so nice! Columbia had about 2" of snow and it all came while we were at market! It was a very wet snow, perfect for snowballs...in fact there was a little girl I saw making a snowman! But it was not good for standing outside for 4 hours trying to sell food! I was surprised though at the number of people who did venture out...I don't know who was crazier the farmers or the customers for being out in that mess. I actually saw 2 people come in shorts, and several in sandals or no coats! We at least had on our insulated coveralls! Oh well that is Missouri weather for you, hopefully this Sat. will be better?! The long range forecast is for rain, but I think it is to be warmer! That is some better...

No comments:

Post a Comment