Monday 3 August 2009

Yesterday was a beautiful day! Greg mowed off the old strawberry beds with his flail mower and just as he was finishing up something on it broke, we have yet to determine what happened there! Then we ripped up the plastic mulch and drip tape with the mulch lifter and gathered it all up. Now it is ready for plowing. Our strawberry tips may be coming in on Friday and Greg will have to go get them on the Illinois side of St. Louis. Then we get to pot them in pots to get them rooted. He usually gets 3,000, I don't think he upped the order, at least I hope not! After we get them potted we have to keep them in the shade under misters which are on timers to keep them moist and hydrated till they root. Then after they are rooted we plant them out in the field. So we will also have to remake the beds and lay plastic and drip tape and get that all ready to go in the next couple of weeks!

Lucas & I went yesterday evening to the Kansas City airport to pick up Joe from his mission trip to Kenya. We got back shortly after midnight. While I was gone Greg blew a tire on the new tractor, so now we are running one of those down and getting it repaired!

I've got cucumbers sliced and salted and ready to be made into bread and butter pickles tonight. I've just got to get the onions sliced and ready to go, so I'd better get to it. I had a vendor in Columbia give me 2 big crates full of cucumbers in exchange for a blackberry pie, so you will probably be getting some cucumbers this week in your boxes, since the deer are eating ours and there is way more than I want to make into pickles!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment