Monday 12 July 2010

Boy did we need the rain we got this past week! We picked our first tomatoes out of the hoop house this past week, and also picked our first zucchinis! We've dug all our candy onions, and are working on getting the potatoes dug. Today I'm stringing up tomatoes again. (The field ones). We had to get some 8' re-bar poles and stake the heirlooms in the hoop house as they are over 6' tall and still going! We are still picking blueberries, but they are slowing down. The green beans are looking very good, now to just keep the deer out of them! Greg has been working on getting two new fields started. He's plowed, disc, tilled and planted buckwheat in one and rye grass in the other for green manure crops. Hopefully we'll be able to use those next year and rotate the crops around a little better! Hopefully in a couple of weeks we'll be getting some cuccumbers, if we can keep that pesky deer out of them! He's been making a deer repelent spray of hot peppers and eggs to spray on things. But you have to mix it up a bit as the deer can get "immune" to the spray, so you have to keep finding something different to add to it. So he added mint to the mixture this week! Seems to work, but you have to keep spraying it as the rain washes it off.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoy reading your newsletter. My heirlooms are 6 feet also. Some of them will get as tall as 9 ft. I live in Salt Lake City. My granddaughter, Telyse is staying with you. I hope she is learnig new things and is a help to you. I miss her. I wish I had an answer to you deer problem. But we don't have that problem her in the valley only in the foothills. Sharlean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Telyse is a wonderful girl and a big help. She's been doing the baking for market and cooking meals! Which is a big help! She's also been helping with the picking and selling at our local market with Lucas while my husband & myself go to Columbia market! She's even been doing some of the grocery shopping and errands!I will miss her when she leaves as August is the begining of our peak season and that's when everyone leaves us and goes back to school!

    ReplyDelete